Together with the tourism association of coastal resorts in Mecklenburg (Verband Mecklenburgischer Ostseebäder, VMO) EUCC-D wants to promote climate change adaptation in coastal communities.
The aim of the project KliWaKom(Communication of climate change in coastal communities) is to analyse the demands for climate change adaptation, to develop short-term and long-term adaptation measures, and to set an example by implementing first measures in a pilot community. The knowledge and experience gained within this process will give the VMO a guideline to develop and implement further measures throughout the region.
In the first half of the project we will apply international developed indicators to measure overall sustainability and efforts to adapt to climate change in the region. On the basis of this first analysis we will develop measures for adaptation. These measures should support a development of sustainable tourism and follow a no-regret approach. Communication and education measures are planned as well, such as the development of an e-learning course for local decision-makers and educational material for tourism schools.
Since not all climate change impacts can be addressed by adaptation measures, in the second half of the project we will develop a regional communication plan as a guideline how to act during extreme weather events. Furthermore we will discuss marketing opportunities, such as the certification of communities with a sustainability label.
Tasks of the EUCC Germany:
project coordination, implementation of sustainability indicators, development of a regional communication plan, preparation of information material
Duration: 2015 to 2018
Funded by: The Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation, Building and Nuclear Safety
The work for the project KliWaKom has been in progress since August 2015. Updates will be regularly posted on this page.
- Project leaflet (German)
- Leaflet on beach wrack (German)
- Leaflet on jellyfish (German)
- Leaflet on algae bloom (German)
- "Meer & Küste" magazine no. 6/2017 (German)
- Küsten Newsletter 6/2017 (German)
- Küsten Newsletter 4/2017 (German)
- Küsten Newsletter 5/2016 (German)
- Küsten Newsletter 2/2016 (German)
- Küsten Newsletter 6/2015 (German)
- Küsten Newsletter 4/2015 (German)
- Climate Change Marketplace, 08.03.2018
- Beach Wrack Symposium, 17.10.2016
- Exchange Excursion, 25.-26.02.2016
- Kick-Off Meeting, 02.12.2015