Beach Wrack Network
Welcome to the Beach Wrack Network
This forum is dedicated to the sustainable management (collection and reuse) of beach wrack in the Baltic Sea Region (BSR) whilst protecting beaches as living, natural landscapes. It is a stakeholder exchange platform for knowledge, ideas and collaboration.
14 June 2021
Presentations from the final conference of the project GRASS (Growing Algae Sustainably in the Baltic Sea) are now available. More information at submariner-network.eu
09 June 2021
The beach wrack debate & discussion session from the successful CONTRA final conference are now online to view. https://youtube.com/channel/UCPDxAiDV9FjaAT9okmRNprg…
More information about the event plus presentations can be found at https://bit.ly/3py3w66
- Macro algae Working Group kick-off by SUBMARINER Network - 15th June 2021
More details and registration here
- COASTAL Biogas 5TH CONFERENCE – ONLINE - 17th June 2021
More details and registration at coastal-biogas.eu
SEAGRICULTURE 2021: 10th International Seaweed Conference – 15/16. September 2021
More information and registration at seagriculture.eu
Converting beach wrack into a resource as a challenge for the Baltic Sea (an overview)
Chubarenko, B., Woelfel, J., Hofmann, J., Aldag, S., Beldowski, J., Burlakovs, J., … Schubert, H. (2020). Converting beach wrack into a resource as a challenge for the Baltic Sea (an overview). Ocean and Coastal Management. Link
- The promotion & communication of sustainable beach wrack management policies and operations in the BSR
- To act as a support facility for policy makers, environmental/conservation groups, public authorities, marine resource management/recycling companies on topics related to beach wrack
- The promotion and positioning of already managed beach wrack within the bio-economy
- To open doors on public / private cooperation for the sustainable reuse of collected beach wrack
- To engage stakeholders in local decision making processes and to raise public/next generation awareness
- To act as a focus and catalyst for innovation, research and training on beach wrack related topics
- To provide scientific advice on general and specific matters relating to beach wrack and its management
- To raise awareness across different scientific communities, EU and further afield, to improve integration of research activities.
The network is a multi-discipline and transnational forum. Members include local authority representatives, beach managers, landowners, coastal engineers, landscape historians, national political decision-makers, nature conservationists, students & scientists, industry representatives, resource managers, private enterprises, and representatives of the tourism industry, amongst others. Our tasks are mostly based on a variety of personal interests so as to ignite a broad and lively discussion - thus creating a unique and dedicated beach wrack forum.
Joining the Beach Wrack Network is free and without commitment. Members receive an e-mail every year about the Network’s activities, and from time to time information about beach wrack relevant news.
If you would like to be part of the network, please fill in the membership form below and return it by email to: email@example.com
Your contact details (name and email address) may be shared with other network members but only for purposes relating to network activities. You have the right to cancel at any time whereby your personal data will be deleted.
The BEACH WRACK NETWORK is based on voluntary work.
The foundations for the NETWORK were established during the EU Interreg project ‚CONTRA‘ (2019-2021) https://www.beachwrack-contra.eu/. It now lives on after the project funding period, addressing the identified need for further collaboration and exchange on the topic of sustainable beach wrack management.
If you have any questions or require more information, please contact
EUCC – The Coastal Union Germany